- About Us
- New Job Form
- New Customer Form
Are you retired, or thinking about slowing down?
Our team is growing! If you've been looking for an opportunity to put your years of experience in the SBC design industy and are at that phase of your life where the quality of life is equally as important as your career, then you should consider Joining the Component Runner Team.
Contact us here for more information.
Component Runner, LLC is a design overflow company specializing in the SBC industry. We're not owned by MiTek, but we're fully authorized by MiTek to provide floor and roof truss modeling and design services exclusively for MiTek component manufacturers. We offer a long list of other SBC related services as well. We know your design needs are variable and like all areas in business there are ebbs and flows that makes it challenging to staff accordingly. Surges in volume creates times when your existing staff just can't keep up with the demand. It's during those times that you need a relief valve that you can open and close as needed. We are that relief valve!
Specialties: Floor and roof truss modeling and design using MiTek software, exclusively for MiTek customers. BIM modeling using MiTek SAPPHIRE Structure and Autodesk's Navisworks software. Wall Panel detailing for both wall panel manufacturers and framing contractors using MiTek SAPPHIRE Structure. EWP modeling and design using MiTek, BC Framer or Javelin software. Expert in all MiTek software. Expert in MiTek data configuration resulting in guaranteed file compatibility, PlanSwift configuration, implementation and efficient use for whole house material takeoffs. Structural Building Component design. All aspects of setting up and running a Structural Building Component technical design department. Expert web developer using Joomla CMS.
We're available on a job by job basis or full time, we provide detailed time tracking sheets with each invoice so there is total transarancy in our cost, we pay MiTek directly for the use of their software, so there are no additional software charges to you. We also carry Errors and Omissions insurance. We're strive to be professional in all ways and easy to work with.
Finally, a solutiuon for increasing design capacity without adding overhead costs!
Contact us today.
In todays economy businesses are avoiding adding overhead whenever possible, sometimes to the detriment of growth. As business improves we see increases in estimating and production design that can easily overload our already stretched design staff. Why not outsource your overflow design work and win more business?
Until now, there has not been a viable option for outsourcing component design, now there is, Component Runner, LLC.
We like to think of ourselves as the "Half person you wish you had now and then". With Component Runner we are that 1/2 person. we are available to you on a job by job basis allowing you to use us when you need us and not when you don't. This allows our cost to be directly attributed to individual jobs making it a variable cost versus an overhead cost.
When you outsource something as important as SBC design, you may feel like you lose control becuse the designer is off-site and potentially unaccountable. This may result in a frustrating experience for you.
At Component Runner, our USA based Project Managers are hand selected and each brings a minmum of 10 years experience in the SBC design and design management. In fact our average PM experience equals 19 years! They represent the industry's best component designers and are covered under the Component Runner data infrastructure and are focused on quick turn-around and excellent customer service. Our USA team has over 298 years experience!
Our business opened in July 2007. We are in our tenth year of business and to date we have completed over 5000 jobs for over 200 MiTek customers.
Communication will never be a problem with our team because we know the importace of meeting, and exceeding, our customers expectations.
Component Runner, LLC has secured a special software license from MiTek allowing us to use the MiTek software on behalf of MiTek Component Manufacturers. We support all versions of MiTek software. This coupled with your data and design preferences means that our data environment will match yours and our designs will look as if they were designed in-house.
Component Runner is not owned or operated by MiTek, and we are only authorized to use the MiTek software to help MiTek CM's with design overflow needs. We do not sell our services directly to the builder unless we are sponsored by a local MiTek Component Manufacturer and we will never sell our services to independent truss brokers.
Component Runner, LLC carries errors and ommission insurance to protect our company, our associates and our customers.
Contact us today to learn more about Component Runner!
10 Reasons to consider Component Runner, LLC for your overflow design needs.
Below are 10 reasons why it makes sense to outsource your design needs to Component Runner, LLC.
1. Our industry is faced with an unprecedented shortage of qualified/experienced design technicians. It's estimated that over 50% of experienced truss design technicians left the industry during the downturn of 2008-2012. Training design technicians from scratch is typically how companies grow their design staff. This process can be time-consuming, non-productive and expensive as often times new designers tend to learn from their mistakes. This has been referred to as the “School of Back-Charges”.
At Component Runner, our Project Managers are industry experts with a minimum of 10 years of experience in component design and component design management. They understand the business and know the MiTek software inside out. We assign a Project Manager to each customer and they become your point of contact for all jobs in our system.
2. All Component Manufacturers experience surges in their design department. Staffing for the surges creates high overhead especially when the Component Manufacturers are located in regions affected by winter. Keeping your design staff intact during slow periods is a common practice because re-staffing when the building season starts can be difficult, risky and expensive if a recruiter is involved.
When you become a Component Runner customer, we are available when you need us. We have no minimums and you only pay us for work performed. This is the perfect solution for managing surges in design. This allows you to staff accordingly and keep your overhead down
3. Large commercial jobs can cripple a design department. Typically, these jobs can take your best designers out of the mainstream for weeks and sometimes months at a time.
Component Runner is a perfect solution for large jobs. In fact, the majority of our work tends to be commercial related. We handle all aspects of the process including direct communication with the Architect and Engineers on the job, if requested. We will create and manage all RFI’s and will create and revise all submittals allowing you to keep your design staff focused on production jobs.
4. Most Component Manufacturers reserve their best designers to focus on production orders which can lead to missed opportunities in sales if the amount of estimating work exceeds the capacity of the design department.
Most of our new customers will use us for estimating work until we are familiar with your design preferences for production work. Some of our customers want us to model and design the building components for the most accurate price, and on larger commercial jobs we have developed a “Quick Quote” process where we break the jobs into different zones. We will design some of the trusses and apply the square foot cost of these representative trusses to each of the zones and deliver a spreadsheet with all the zones represented. Our customers then add their overhead and profit and quote the job. The feedback we get from these “Quick Quotes” is very positive.
5. Approximately 70% of total design time is needed for building modeling (layout) and the remaining 30% of the time is needed for truss design. This creates an opportunity to outsource the modeling portion of the job and keep the truss design process in-house.
Outsourcing component design can be risky if the component manufacture does not stay actively involved in each of the jobs that are not designed in-house. If your design staff can delegate 70% of the work to us it frees them up to do other jobs without losing control on the larger jobs. We have many customers who have used us in this manner.
6. People get sick, go on vacation and sometimes need to take a leave of absence for personal reasons. When this happens wouldn't it be great to have a resource you can depend on to step in and help out during these times?
We have many customers who only contact us under these circumstances. Once you are setup as a Component Runner customer, you can order work from us only when you need help and we will be there for you.
7. Understanding the complex data environment of the MiTek software is necessary for a remote designer to ensure they are providing you with MiTek job files that fully utilize your material inventory and default settings.
Every one of our customers is unique in what they expect of us. Our team is expert in managing the MiTek data and we keep each of our customers database in a secure place on our servers. Our team is very good at ensuring that each job we do uses the current MiTek software version that is running in your office along with the current database that you have. This allows us to guarantee that our jobs will be completely compatible at your end without lumber and plate substitutions.
8. When you work with a remote designer you sometimes experience frustration if they are difficult to reach or are generally non-communicative. Many independent designers have full time jobs and are moonlighting to make extra money. This can be a challenge when you are getting pressure from your customers and you can't reach your designer because they are at their "day job".
All of our Project Managers are available when you need them. They don’t moonlight, they are full time professional design technicians who are focused to keep you informed and to make you a happy customer.
9. Work from independent designers is often incomplete and late in delivery and may include design approaches which do not match your company’s way of doing things.
When you become a Component Runner customer, we will begin with a comprehensive interview with our VP of Operations and the Project Manager assigned to you. They will work with you to complete a Preferences form that will become our go to document for all jobs you send us. This is a living document that will be revised as needed to ensure that the work you receive from us looks like it was done in-house. When you order work from us via our website you will specify the delivery date. Our people work diligently to meet that date and will inform you as soon as possible if they feel the due date is not achievable.
10. Working with independent designers may be expensive especially if they are not organized and do not provide accurate time sheets showing where every minute is being spent.
When we invoice you each month for the work we do, you will receive an accurate time sheet that details every minute we spend on each job. This transparency is important to us as we feel it is very important for you to feel comfortable with our pricing. If you see something on these timesheets that does not look right to you, we will be happy to discuss the details and, if necessary, we will make adjustments to the price.
Our goal is to be a resource that is available when you need us which will allow you to keep your design staff at the right levels for your business. We have created a team of very good people who will not let you down.
Please consider Component Runner for your overflow design needs.
Contact us today for more information about Component Runner, LLC.